[Coco] Pokes for DECB to allow Single density 35 Track Disks to be Formated and Backed up?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 10 08:28:03 EDT 2005

The answer is both yes and no, not what you want to hear and it may
depend on the structure of the FLEX disks in question.

Obviously a Coco can do what you want when running FLEX. I'm not sure
whether Coco FLEX conforms to the IBM 3740 format standard of 128 bytes
per sector or even if your disks are Coco FLEX or some other type. The
nature of your disks will determine the easy of patching with POKEs or
whether you will need to write some ml routines.

The DOS1.1 ROM has the format track data at $D6D4-$D6EB. The byte
controlling the sector size is at $D6E6 default 0=256. It will need to
be $80=128 for 128 byte sectors. DSKCON initializes the disk controller
for double density at $D774 ORA #$20. That will need to be changed to
single density ANDA #not$20 or $DF.

After the above changes you should be able to read/write single density
128 byte sector disks. However, the disks will be uniform throughout
with the same number of sectors per track as a Disk Basic disk. If you
want to change the number of sectors per track, there are at least 8
locations in the ROM that need to be changed. If you want to change
track and sector density along with sector size on a flexible basis, you
will have to write your own format and disk I/O routines. I strongly
suggest that you consult "Unravelled" series of books and study the
related stock routines before writing your own ml replacements.