[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: OS-9 as Replacement for DECB.

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 16:46:59 EDT 2005

James

> The Coco 3 uses floating point for all its math even addition. All the
> floating point math can be off loaded from the interpreter onto a PIC
> or and AVR at more efficiency to RSBASIC. Most of the routines
> are bogged down by this.

I realize this... but the interpreter has to convert strings to
numbers in the code at runtime even if you add floating point
hardware.  It's better to preconvert numbers in the code and frankly,
adding integers to the language would add more speed than a floating
point chip.  Adding some floating point related instructions to a VHDL
6809 cpu might be a better option than making the CPU spend a bunch of
cycles talking to a coprocessor.

> Other peripherals can use more hardware to offload software loads
> on RSBASIC to help speed the processor at current speed.
>
> That is what I meant by hardware. Take some of the tasks that
> RSBASIC is doing and move it to the peripherals.

If you are talking about peripherals that work similar to the Cypress
USB chip where much of the USB protocol is handled by the chip then
yes that would offload work from the CPU.

But I'm not sure what peripherals you are talking about.

James

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/CFFolB/TM