[Coco] An OT video format question

Brett K Heath hcmth019 at csun.edu
Mon Oct 3 19:17:03 EDT 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Dave Kelly wrote:

> What paper/list/tutoral do I read to find out what codec produces which
> video format?

Try these.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

http://faq.arstechnica.com/?i=362

> For instance, in the command line below,  how do I know that mpeg4
> produces .avi formated video? And  what audio format is pcm_s16le?

> ffmpeg -r 25 -s 384x288 -b 5000 -ar 44100 -vd /dev/v4l/video0 -qmin 2
> -vcodec mpeg4 -me zero -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 1 -y -t 3600 foo.avi

As Gene says the audio would be single channel 16 bit signed PCM in
little-endian order at a sample rate of 44100.

The relationships between various container formats (avi, quicktime, mpeg
program streams, etc.) and the codecs they can use are not exactly
straightforward but the first site above gives some info (look at the
discussion under "Advanced Video Compression").

HTH

Brett K. Heath