[Coco] Hi coconuts, What's the best approach for doing a database

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Fri Nov 4 03:46:07 EST 2005

Hi Brian,

While I may not know about all the CoCo database programs, If you plan to do
anything that is not in the "Toy" group, there is only one.
"Sculptor".

After playing with "Data Master" for OS-9, I got the OS-9 Level II CoCo 3
version. It has some internal flaws that prevents its use. It could be
disassembled and those fixed but you would still have the problem that it is
not useful for anything serious.

It looks nice, but that lasts only until you use it for a while. Too many
records and you drop it quickly.

Sculptor is the only database program for OS-9 that I would trust ANY data
with. The only one!

If it were to be used for anything, the primitive screen output and user
input should be upgraded.

It is reliable because it was an commercial project. That also means that
versions may quite well be still in use and the copyright still being
protected.

I have the documentation and it is huge, way past what anyone might consider
scanning unless there are hundreds of people saying that they would want to
use it.

I also have the Sculptor MSDOS version that was talked about.

If you are running Windows, it may be possible to get a old version of
Paradox for not too much money.

Paradox got it's name by being a database program that was easily used. A
very radical program idea when it was first sold.

I stopped looking for data base programs after I got my first Paradox
Windows version. Borland always does a great job, their programs run very
fast and are easy to use. There is nothing that I consider doing that cannot
be done with Paradox, even with 100,000 entries which I have built databases
containing several times. The Paradox programming language is great. After
"AWK", it is my favorite. But then, I use "AWK" most often for preparing
weird input data for paradox.

I have several database programs from MS and Lotus but I have never
considered using them because Paradox allows me to do the job so much
faster.

Anyone interested on how to find Paradox cheap can search for Corel
"WordPerfect" Suite. I suggest that you tell me what you have found as there
are many offers that do not include Paradox.

If you would try to buy the "Latest" Paradox from Corel, it would be very
difficult. Secret passwords, unlisted Phone Numbers and special handshakes
needed. The Paradox group is not very happy about that. As well as no
further development. They have been talking about buying it and doing
further development themselves. Or doing other things to keep Paradox alive.

When I upgraded from Paradox 7 to 10, I learned a way to get it for only
$50.00 from the group. A very cheap price when compared with what I paid for
earlier upgrades.

At that time there were several earlier versions for as low as $6.00. I
would expect that there still are many for that price still available. The
very latest Paradox version is not needed, version 10 often labeled as 11 or
12, unless you want to spend the money. Don't pay more than $40 or $50 for
version 10.

Most of what you do is built into the user interface, that is true for most
database programs today.
What is great about Paradox is that when you need to add a little
programming for your special needs, you have a great language to write it
in.

If you are not talking about Windows on the PC, I left MSDOS long ago.

Stephen H. Fischer