[Coco] Color Quaver/ .PCL file extension/ Green Mountain

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Tue Nov 8 09:15:23 EST 2005

At 11:47 PM 11/7/05 -0800, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>Without knowing what the control characters do, how would I convert these
>files into something useable on the coco?
>Which file(s) is the executable?

The executable is "pencil.lc" for lowercase Model I systems. I don't know
if later versions were ever issued.

There was a special version for typesetting that uses the control
characters, but I doubt it was ever issued. In my chapters of the Custom
TRS-80, which you may also have found online, you'll see commands such as
"@@FT1" and "@@FT3". All these commands are simple toggles. FT1 is font
type 1, FT3 is font type 3. The control codes (not nested) were active
until canceled. The entire Custom TRS-80 book was set on a Model I, run
into a professional typesetting machine which read the control codes and
produced the optical results.

To convert the files, just load them as ASCII and dump the last 3 or 4
characters (which were Electric Pencil's own end-of-file indicator).

Dennis