[Coco] multi-sync monitor thing & DPMS ...

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sat May 7 16:32:49 EDT 2005

Hi,

	I am going to try one more time to get you to consider adding DPMS
support to this thing.

	The 70+ watt power consumption of a monitor will drop to <10 when in
standby. Given what is going on with energy prices I think it would be a
crime if you don't at least look into it.

	If you have a communication channel between the tre and your gadget,
implementing DPMS is easy:  you just block the appropriate sync pulses
for the given mode:  on (none), standby (H or V), suspend (V or H), and
off (both). A communication channel allows you to move the intelligence
of when to switch modes to the OS-9 driver. Your gadget just does what
it is told.

	The biggest drop in power for most monitors is from on to standby but
there are some odd ball monitors out there (Nanao F2-17 for example has
to be put into suspend - not compatible with MacOS at least for power
savings).

					kevin