[Coco] Re: Loose plastic gears - CGP215 & PC2 Printers

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Jun 25 18:34:03 EDT 2005

As noted, your best bet might be JB-Weld. Non-gel super glue may be
problematic, as noted, because you have to spread the crack to let the
glue seep in, then relax it, and hope. Most super-glues are based on
cyanacrylate (sp?) formulas, and as such most cure via non-oxygen or
non-moisture exposure (which is readily present in air, of course),
which means you need to get the glue in, then press and hold it together
to drive out all space and air from between the parts, and hold it that
way until the glue cures completely (about 5 minutes or less). On a
small part, this can be a near impossible task.

Other cyanacrylate glues (apart from super glue), formulated for various
plastics, are available at hobby shops - one favorite of mine (though
very pricey) is a brand called "PlastiZap" - comes in various forms for
different model plastics. There is even a form hospitals use for surgery
instead of stiches, which is available for home use under various names,
though these escape me at the moment (great for cuts!).

JB-Weld, though, is a two-part epoxy, which cures via a chemical
reaction. JB-Weld is *excellent* stuff - I have never come across a
better two part epoxy. There may be some out there only available to the
military and such, but I doubt it. My only gripe with it is that when
you use it on something small, you still end up with extra that you
could use, but you have to waste it. That, and you can't get large
amounts of it (they make a "shop size" that you can get at auto parts
stores which is a larger amount - but I wish you could get it in gallon
sizes).

There are several forms of JB-Weld - but the two you are most likely to
come across are the standard form (black and red tubes - sets up in
about an hour, full strength in 24 hrs) and the quik-set form (tan and
blue tubes - sets up in 5 minutes, full strength in 24 hours). One tube
is the resin, the other is the hardener. Just squeeze out equal amounts
next to each other (a plastic coffee can lid works well for this), then
mix together with a toothpick or anything else you don't want again
(once it hardens, and sticks, you will NEVER get it off - but it
shouldn't stick to the plastic coffee can lid - which makes it the ideal
place to mix it on). Once you have it fully mixed together (be very
thorough on this step - unless it it mixed well, you won't get proper
strength), apply it to the part.

The gears you are working with are likely nylon or delrin. I am not sure
whether JB-Weld will stick to them or not, but it probably will. The one
kind of plastic that I know for sure it won't stick to are PET (like 2
liter bottles) and other polyethylene-based plastics. Just about
anything else is fair game.

How good is JB-Weld? Well - I have it in a few places on my 1979 Bronco
- one area is on the radiator, where it is holding a bracket in place
where a weld failed. I bought the truck this way, so no clue how long it
has been there, but it has yet to fail in the two years I have had the
truck. Elsewhere, it is holding together an anti-backfire valve that
broke when I removed it from another engine, and I couldn't find the
right part elsewhere, so I figured "what the heck" - this part screws
into the intake manifold (IIRC) on top of the engine. It has been this
way for two years as well, no problems.

I have seen it used to fill cracks in the blower housing (alluminum -
expensive to fix/weld) on a 1978 Detroit diesel engine - which held for
about 10 years or so (my brother-in-law's dump truck - done so far back
he couldn't remember when he did it). I have heard of crazier uses, even
in places where you shouldn't use it, where it works and hasn't failed
(like on exhaust manifolds - the temperatures at which it will fail is
supposed to be something like 500-600 degrees F).

There are plenty of amusing and interesting testimonials at the JB-Weld
website - take a look:

http://jbweld.net/index.php

Good luck, and I hope this information helps!

Andrew Ayers
Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona