[Coco] [OT] how I stopped worrying and learned to love Yahoo

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Jun 15 12:38:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:39 -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> I may be in the minority as well, and this will be my only comment on it,
> but there are old fuddy-duddy people like me who refuse to sign up for
> anything yahoogroups. I never got any spam at my yahoo.com email address
> until I signed up for one, then literally, less than 24 hours later, I had
> spam, not thru the group but directly to my email account, and I didn't
> give 'em permission to distribute my email address... so if it does shift
> over there, I'll be bowing out of the discussion.

I do support for DLPilot through a Yahoo group. Easier for me. I do warn
people that are concerned before sending them an "invitation" that if
they are worried about it, they should create a throw away address to
sign up with. One person complained, and won't sign up. I suggested that
he just create a throw-away email address and use that to join the
group, but not interested.

In any event, you know your address is on the net, Yahoo doesn't need to
sell it for you to get spam, and even if they did sell it, so does
everyone else.

Personally, I have come to terms with the spam problem. I use one
address for everything and I always will, and have a combination of my
own filters and pobox.com's filtering. I don't have a junk mail box at
pobox, I just have them reject messages that hit their spam filters.
Then the sender knows I didn't get the email. Probably 3 or 4 spams a
day get through into my mailbox, and half of those get filtered by my
own heuristics.

I do agree though that this discussion should be kept here.

-- John.