[Coco] Rainbow on Disc - Omnipage vs ABBYY

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Tue Jun 14 13:50:45 EDT 2005

I have both on my computer. OmniPage does work but it has many annoying
problems. ABBYY simply is quicker and easier to use and has features that
OmniPage lacks, such as BASIC language OCR functionality and good dot matrix
reading. It also isn't as cranky about resolution and font sizes.

You can use ABBYY as a PDF scanner/convertor which does OCR in the
background while scanning. It's hardly any slower than creating PDFs alone,
so IME it's the best way to make PDFs. There's little cost in the added OCR
functions.

I've been doing OCR for over 15 years so I do have a little experience.

I don't think I want to lead this for the moment but I'll keep it in mind.
Perhaps I should start a new Yahoo list for the project.

Neil