[Coco] Rainbow Bookshelf

zaphod at mchsi.com zaphod at mchsi.com
Mon Jun 13 12:56:24 EDT 2005

I'm not sure how much I would read, myself. Reading an actual magazine is a
lot more comfortable than sitting in front of a monitor. That said, I'd still
love to have my Rainbow magazines on a disc. I'd willingly pay $100 for a
complete collection.

Paper magazines won't last forever. We're seeing reports of damaged magazines,
and even TRS-80.com lists some issues of 80-Micro as too damaged to scan. I
consider Rainbow to be a significant part of history, and one which I feel
strongly toward preserving. At the very least, having them on disc allows me
to print the article that I am interested in reading.

As for OCR, I would be happy with just a comprehensive index with short
summaries of the contents. This would be far easier to produce than
proofreading an entire issue. My own experiments on issue #2 showed that the
font used made it hard to recognize text -- the lack of descenders especially.