[Coco] Rainbow in PDF! And Hot COCO! And Color Computer Magazine!

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Mon Jun 6 22:34:26 EDT 2005

I'm new to the list so I may have missed some of this conversation.  I
purchased a flatbed scanner with a document feeder last year just for this
purpose, but after contacting Lonnie I was fairly discouraged and haven't
started the project.  He said he would be willing to work out some sort of
payment plan so that scanned versions could be sold, but the cost was
still very high and I didn't think the COCO community would go for a huge
cost item.  His site is selling some of the older editions for as much as
$9!

I do not have a complete collection, and many of the issues are in
somewhat sad shape.  I managed to get my hands on a few Hot COCO's and
Color Computer Magazine's as well.  I would love to recreate my entire
COCO magazine collection and archive it before time and environement
destroys the printed versions completely.

What would you guys consider "high quality"??  After doing some initial
scans I found that the quality I was willing to live with ended up being
so large in size that I was going to be lucky if I got one of the smaller
magazines on a single CD.  DVD is workable, but still somewhat cost
prohibitive for a large collection.  There is also the issues related to
DVD and CD degredation over time - even if stored properly and used seldom
they won't last forever.  Any thoughts?

I would certainly be willing to participate and contribute to the effort -
I feel like I should start with my own copies before making overtures
about my level of committment, but I am motivated to save my poor
magazines!!

Regards,
Michael Harwood

>     I am going to renew my effort to complete my collection.     I will
> donate
> my collection for scanning if someone out there has the equipment and
time to do high quality work.     If anybody is seriously interested
email me off llist and I will ship the collection to them.    I would
prefer
> somebody
> everyone on the list knows well.
>       Like someone here has already said,  we can do the scan even if
> we dont have Lonnie's permission right away so that we can be ready to
make them available when and if we do get permission and whatever that
may cost us.