[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Rainbow in PDF?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jun 6 11:18:05 EDT 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 10:03, Derek wrote:
>Ira Goldking over at trs80.com has many TRS-80 magazines up for
> download in PDF format. Perhaps we can approach him to see if he
> has looked into it at all?
>
>I would be willing to donate to a site that had the Rainbow archived
> for download.

That still doesn't mitigate the fact that Lonnie will not release the
Rainbow into public domain.  So the act of placeing them on a
publicly available site, in any format, is a copyright violation.  We
have to a man, ranted about the unfairness of the copyright act, but
Disney et all can buy any law they want...

Its neither here nor there, but its my opinion that anything thats out
of print, and no longer available from the copyright holder of
record, should legally be made PD after a reasonable period of
non-availability, say 6 months,  giving the copyright holder a chance
to reclaim his copyright if he republishes.

Many of the authors of the material in the Rainbow got it published
only because they relinquished their copyrights to Lonnie in order to
have it published, and this has turned into a major impediment as it
puts the copyright into the hands of someone who apparently thought
the Rainbow was a business that had to be all controlling.  IMO he
would have sold just as many magazines had he allowed the authors to
retain their copyrights.  99% of them were honest, but Lonnie didn't
trust anybody.  And we have no legal recourse, darnit.

But thats just my opinion as entered yesterday on the WIPO survey
site.  That, and $0.75 will get you a small cup of java at
Hardies. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)