[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: SDCC, Free Scott MC-10... Was: Multiple C compiler projects

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 20:27:05 EDT 2005

First of all the 6808 and 6803 are very similar.  However the 68HC08
is very different.  After finding the right CPU docs the code makes a
lot more sence (I kept looking because it didn't).

The compiler looks like it should generate better code than the ones
built on small C.  That includes the FLEX compiler, the z88dk compiler
and most of the others I've looked at.  It depends on how smart the
register allocation is.  I still think GCC will top it but with that
many more lines of code it had better.

Changes needed:
Mnemonics are close but the register model has to change.
Most changes are renaming things, cut-n-paste, change stack references
and the like.
The stack frame code needs fixed

A 6309 version should offer a decent performance improvement.
I can probably build 6803, 6809 and 6309 versions from one set of
source code using #ifdefs, that was unlikely with GCC.

I'll try to get the register model fixed tonight.  Due to the number
of lines involved that is very optimistic but I have to start somewhere.

Yahoo! Groups Links