[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Case & Keyboard Restoration

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jan 25 22:41:19 EST 2005

Glen

Correct on the causes of yellowing.

Almost all plastics when formulated are clear. Pigment is added
during mixing and before injection mold process. Once the pigment
itself starrtts to discolor there is no real means of cleaning that
discoloration. Surface dirt and stuff can be cleaned.

Krylon now makes a paint that is formulated to stick to plastics
better. Generally paint does not like to stick to plastic unless one
cures the paint at an elevated temperature. The problem is the
better the cure, the higher the temperature. Sadly enough, most
common paints cure at temperatures that start to deform the plastic
or alter its mechanical strength.

I would try the Krylon paint. There are some industrial paints that
are not to bad but are not generally available in small quantities to
the general public.

james