[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

Nickolas Marentes NickM at qm.qld.gov.au
Fri Jan 21 01:14:07 EST 2005

The board looks bid but I would have thought that to construct the GIME chip
out of discrete components would take up another board similar in size.
Maybe they used a lot of programmable PAL's?

Also, Al should see if he can find schematics for the board. Surely someone
would have had a schematic diagram of the prototype. If this could be found,
this could shave off a lot of reverse engineering.

I notice on the board is a Western Digital chip partially obscured with a
red sticker. The part visible shows "WD17????". Could this be an onboard
floppy controller? It is also positioned close to a 34 way connector. The
floppy drive cable connector?

I wonder if that board is really the CoCo2 Plus (or CoCo Deluxe...whatever
it was being called). I just don't feel that the circuit contains enough to
have a GIME.

Nickolas Marentes