[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

alsplace at pobox.com alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 17:27:03 EST 2005

Nick -- the CoCo 3 prototypes have been sitting in storage at
Microware.  During a recent housecleaning, when everything in the
'morgue' (room of all the old hardware and such) had to be cleaned out,
they were set aside for preservation.  I never knew they existed until
I spoke with Mark Hawkins a year ago when he was stopped by.  He
commented on the CoCo "prototypes" he'd seen us mention, and said the
CoCo prototype was still here -- explaining that it was a big board
kind of thing and not the early production run CoCos that Brother
Jeremy ended up with.

So, these are the two boards Microware did Super Extended Color Basic
on -- so unless they worked on it w/o any graphics support initially,
then wrote the rest when production CoCos with GIMEs came out ... I'd
think these had to be the real deal.  Also, since SUper Extended
basically ONLY was the CoCo 3 graphics (and memory handling), I can't
imagine these would have been of any use to Microware for the BASIC
project without having the GIME.

Also, another Tandy developer says he had access to one of these for a
very brief time -- I'll ask and see if he can remember if it had a
GIME-workalike.

     -- Allen