[Coco] Buffered cable

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jan 11 20:23:58 EST 2005

Mike

You will need to place noninverting buffer chips like 74LS244 on the
address line for certain. The MC6809 has external pullups on the
motherboard but this is not sufficient to drive any large capacitive
load or a cable over more than about 2 inches long. The data lines
are already buffered so the real problem is the address lines.

A real weakness of the design. Tandy must have not wanted to
spend the extra $1 and have them on board. The pullup resistors
are marginal at best.

james