[Coco] Spam (was Boisy & Mark)

David golgotha at toughguy.net
Sun Feb 27 17:56:39 EST 2005

Allen Huffman wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2005, at 12:09 PM, Dave Poitras wrote:
>
>> Hey you two, I just tried sending both you emailand it was bounced
>> due to SPAM!?!?!?
>> I've been accused of lots of things, now do I have to include being a
>> spammer also:-)
>

> I've personally accused you of being far worse than a spammer ;-)
>
> I've noticed these ISP spam blocks, which is really starting to be a
> problem.  I use my server's mail server and since this box hosts
> thousands of accounts other than mine, any one of those users could
> have sent spam, got cancelled (so what, they don't care, they got
> their spam sent) and now the box's IP is blacklisted rendering
> everyone else using it unable to send mail.
>
> There's gotta be a better way...
>
>         -- A

Yep, there is a better way.. never give out your email address on the
internet unless you explicitly trust the person you're giving it to - I
treat my email address like I would my home address if I was in the
witness protection plan - if you really dont need to know where I livet,
you can have my post-office box address instead (my spam-box that I
check every now and again for real emails)

I'm just waiting for some bright spark to generate an internet worm with
the sole purpose of collecting email addresses from people's inboxes and
outboxes, and forwarding them on to a third party to be sold as
'validated email addresses'....

- David