[Coco] C versus Pascal, etc.

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 23:52:44 EST 2005

neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:

No, far  from it, but I find C Compilers for small CPUs are not very
efficient or  effective. It's a popular fetish these days to use them but I
found Pascal  worked better on tiny systems.

The funny thing about our Coco's OS9 C compiler is that its code is very,
very efficient at the expression or even statement level -- it knows the 6809
like an old glove.  But across one statement to the next, it's pretty  dumb.
Other than its insistence on sign-extending every char to an int,  it's pretty
good.

Of course, it helped if you wrote compounded expressions like
    if( (x = y + z) > 0) ...
which, I understand, are becoming passe' in these days of self-optimizing
CPUs.
--Mike K.