[Coco] setting up a C compiler system

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 29 22:01:01 EST 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 21:29, Bob Devries wrote:
>please beware: the tandy supplied c.prep is hard coded to look at /d1
> for its DEFS directory. I just got caught with that :(

That patch is fairly well known, but it doesn't begin to address that
utilities other tummy aches, warts, and ingrown toenails.

Source code sizes in excess of 12k or so will overflow its scoping
mechanism, with no reported errors of any kind, but the object built
with it will upchuck when run on the machine very quickly.  Os9 L2 is
intrinsicly hard to crash when running on a coco3.  The microware
version can and will generate code that will do it.  Reliably.

Cprep19 is the latest effort to overcome many of the microware releases
problems, and can handle src code collections in excess of 36k without
getting acid indigestion.  pf is that big, as is rzsz-3.36.

One of the criteria I used when doing the last 3 versions of it
(previous releases were by the same gentleman that did the scsisys
drivers) was that it had to be able to compile first rzsz-3.24 and
finally rzsz-3.36 into stable code.  It can do that.  If you have been
using that utility in any version from 3.16 on, I believe it came from
my machine.  But you'll find 3.24 and 3.36 nearly 200cps faster than
3.16, which didn't contain the table driven crc lookups I put in the
later ones.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene