[Coco] re:Learning to program

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Sat Dec 17 16:00:43 EST 2005

Rumor has it that Mannequin* may have mentioned these words:
>On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:41:06 -0500
>Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys, don't get side tracked over whether Python is good or bad.
> > Just look at the site mentioned for generally good programming practices.
>
>I never said that Python was bad. I was stating that it was harder to learn
>than BASIC for the CoCo. ;)

Yes, but it's much more *capable* than ECB, and with that is going to come
a bit of a learning curve...

... I can say that it really wasn't much tougher than Basic09, and
honestly, it's quite a bit easier to learn (and actually do something
*useful* in a short time) than Perl. And I used to be rather good at Perl
(it was my favorite until I learned Python) so I'm speaking from both sides
of the camp. ;-)

In my personal experience, serial port programming in Perl was much more
difficult, I never got the hang of Unix sockets programming in it (and I've
written a couple of small client/server proggies in Python now), and
there's even cross-platform GUI systems that work with no code changes
between Winders & Linux! -- the extensibility of Python is legendary - it's
motto is: "Batteries included." ;-)

>On that note though, I have taken a quick look at the page. Looks pretty
>good. :)

There's some *fantastic* beginner's tutorials for Python...

If anyone's thinking of learning a "modern" programming language, Python
certainly gets my vote.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...