[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Dec 7 22:46:33 EST 2005

Richard

You did reply to the right person.

I can further add that here in Florida there is a movement to have
even Community College professors having Masters Degrees.
Teaching K-12 is still a BS/BA degree.  You can't teach at university
level with less than a masters and at least working on your PHD.
Thanks to "No Child Left Behind" program to teach math in K-12,
they would prefer the instructor to have a degree in Mathematics.
Even though a BSEE has all the math requirements now to teach
Mathematics.

The problem with older workers, over age 50, is that the cost of
benefits are very high. Insurance, life and health, plus pension
contributions can easily add up to 10 to 20K per year above any
salary. One major problem that GM faces as with some major
corparations in the US is that they already have under funded
pension funds now. The big Baby Boomer retiree period will be
between about 2009 and 2018.

oh well i need to get off my soapbox.

james