OT - Re: [Coco] How do you program?

Paul T. Barton idezilla at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 16:16:28 EST 2005

Jim,

--- Jim Cox <jimcox at miba51.com> wrote:

> OK, here's another philisophical question for the group.
>
> How do you program?  Assuming you know the programming
> langauge you are working with, do you just sit down at the
> computer and bang at the keys like a chimp,
> or do you think about what it is you want to do and
> what you what you need to do it?

Now this one sounds more like it. I usually study
what needs to happen, gather all info, everything,
then begin. Usually the first one doesn't work, as
I don't think like a robot. For instance, have someone
else tie their shoes, by your exact instructions,
it's hilarious!

> If your answer is the latter, what steps do you take,
> meaning what is your thought process.  If it's the former,
> how often is your efforts successful the first time out?

I want to know, intimately, how to get through a flow-
diagram/chart. Once that diagram is done, so is the coding.

> I'm finding that learning how to think like a coder is
> harder than just learning the syntax and functions.

Actually, it's the other way around for me. :-)
Just go with your heart, besides it must be something
you want to do...

> -Jim
> PS: Still would like to get opinions about how to proceed
> with my career and moving to an engineering tech job.

Myself, at 60 (61 in December-28) I worry too.