[OT] [Coco] Packin' heat

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 17:04:56 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 15:30, Ward Griffiths wrote:
>On 12/08/2005 02:24 pm, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
>> Wow, up here in Canada, the only guns we see are on the belts of police
>> and the few American tourists :) I believe the discount ONLY works at the
>> dounut shops though :)
>> -Glen
>
>The standard cop discount (at least in the diners, coffee shops and such) in
>the States is 50%, or at least it was when I was with the Laconia, NH police
>department in 1972.  I will offer them only the same 10% I give anybody else
>with a firearm.  Here in New Jersey, of course, since it's almost impossible
>for an unconnected civilian to get permission to carry, anybody with a gun
>generally gets a 100% discount plus the contents of the cash register.
>(Folks out to commit crimes don't seem to worry that having the gun is
> _also_ a crime).  In NH it's legal for a shopkeeper or homeowner to have a
> piece and to use it in self defense, but not down here.  Use of lethal
> force in self defense in New Jersey will get you tried for premeditated
> murder unless you're a cop or politician or well-connected civilian.

And to think that Spiro Agnew tried to rise above that, boggles the mind.

>To bring things (sort of) on topic, I've long wondered how many folks who
>played Leo Christopherson's Coco game "Klendathu" ever got around to
> actually reading the excellent novel that inspired it (_Starship Troopers_
> by Robert Heinlein, and don't be misled by the crappy movie of the same
> name) or more of Heinlein's work.  I liked the game (it was one I could
> actually _win_) but I'd been a Heinlein reader for decades previous.
> Always wondered what documentation came with the classroom version, but it
> was a special order and none ever came through my RSCC.

Never had the game, but gobbled up the novel.  Of course my Sci Fi reading
list goes all the way back to E.E. (Doc) Smith.  Heinlein, Hebert, Bear and
of course the Calahans Bar series from Spider were my favs over the last 65
some years since I learned to read.  I was reading Doc Smith at the same time
I was reading McGuffies. Fun times.  :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)