[Coco] Coco3 CMP color swatches

Robert Sherwood photorob00 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 11:12:49 EDT 2005

You'll have pretty much the same set of problems as trying to use a film or
digital camera with a TV screen/monitor.  Unless your card is vastly
different from those I've seen, the screen capture is made according to the
final output image actually seen on the screen - as controlled by the
colour balance in the card's display software.  I've done caps from normal
NTSC video, and if I've happened to change the colour balance between them
even 2 caps of the exact same frame will be different.

Of course, you also have to consider the effects of converting the image to
GIF or JPEG as well.  The only way I know to be certain of having perfect
colour reproduction in a digitized image is to provide it in a 24-bit
uncompressed format (such as BMP or TIFF.  PNG might work - I'm not as
familiar with that.)

All that being said, I think it's certainly worthwhile to go ahead with the
experiment and see how the results compare to the previous MESS
screenshot.  It's probably also worth it to try the same with the digital
and film cameras as stated sometime earlier.  Although with film, the
printing process introduces way too many output variables to be very
accurate for producing swatch-like samples.  Either slides, or a scan from
negatives would be the best option here.

--Rob