[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 19, Issue 133

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Apr 26 13:05:29 EDT 2005

Rumor has it that KnudsenMJ at aol.com may have mentioned these words:

>In a message dated 4/25/05 7:31:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, farna at att.net
>writes:
>
> >I  think it's the ultimate thumb to MS -- I'm running Open Office on my
>laptop!
>
>Well that's good, but, assuming you're running it under Linux, I wonder  what
>you had to go thru to get Linux (any flavor) working on the laptop?

Lesse... with SuSE 9.2 pro, stick in DVD (or multiple CDs), boot from
optical, click next a few times, reboot, done.

Oy, that was tough. ;-)

Nowadays, Linux is as easy (if not easier) to install as Winders; just as
ooey-GUI, just as pretty, and just as memory hungry... ;-)

>I'd love to pick up an out of date laptop, put Linux on it, and run  UltiMusE
>on the road, but installing Linux on anything is not easy,

If you're building it from scratch, I agree with you -- there's a book
about it at www.linuxfromscratch.org. Took almost a month of spare time to
get my laptop the way I like it, but it outruns almost anything else I've
seen, and uses < 60Meg in X with apache, coldfusion, postgresql and other
server apps running. It's a 933 Crusoe processor - in Win2K it runs like a
P3-600. SuSE runs like a P3--700. My Homebrew linux runs like a P3-1300+! I
used some *serious* optimization flags on 'er, tho. ;-)

However, Gentoo is a fairly automated "Download the source, build it on the
machine, install it and run" type of distro. Very efficient once built, but
it takes several days (or more) to actually build. Doesn't take "nearly as
much" human brainpower; but it's still not "worry free, just click Next"
like SuSE or Mandrake.

Lame attempt to bring this back ontopic: Are there any good CoCo emulators
for Linux?

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson