[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Sad News For Canadian's

Dave dx375 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:47:17 EDT 2005

Glen, Yep, the local RS's were quite popular....even back in the
early seventies when I was a teen...
Sure parts were expensive, but they were readily available at RS
ONLY where I lived...
Science Fair was great stuff, built my first regenerative Short Wave
Receiver back then...got me hooked on DX'ing....
CB was cool then and the Shack was the place to buy towers, roters,
antenna's, etc....most gone now or special order....
H3ll, they even sold Shure cartridges at a decent price (re-branded)
for your turntable....
During school break they would have the summer battery special where
you brought in an item adn they FILLED it with batteries...
Those were the days but I digress....
Then the Model 1 TRS appeared and the rest is history....!
We had a Tandy Computer Store here, "not" an RS Store, that's how
popular they were back then.....and owned most of the computer
market locally....
The CoCo filled in nicely with the Extended Basic we ahd to learn in
college...the Commodores and Atari's Basic were too weak until MS
released MS Basic for the Atari 800XL......(one of my fav's)
I used to pick up the U.S. RS catalog in Watertown N.Y. every year
and marveled at what was available south of the border.....as
compared to up here.....
Cheers Dave

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
<glenvdb at h...> wrote:

> I have to agree dave,
> If you were fortunate to be a teen in the '80s, The local Shack
was so much
> more than "just a store" in many ways it was a "first" computer
club and if
> you had a good owner that didn't chase the kids out, you got so
much more
> there. From my first "Science Fair" project kit (i had many) to my
rocket
> supplies (engines and such) to our first remote control cars. If
you had a
> good owner, late at night, before the mall was closing, we would
have RC
> races with the trucks. We could actually play with the computers,
and on
> Weekends we all would be huddled around the CoCo at the back,
while someone
> was demonstrating the latest games or software that they had
written.
> All the free battieries, my god, sometimes those were the only
batteires in
> the house. It was a hang out for kids, and that proved to be many
sales for
> the owner.
>
> -Glen
> >
> >Never got any free batteries at the computer clubs I belonged
to....

> >:-)
> >
> >Cheers Dave
> >
> >--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, James Dessart <james at s...>
wrote:

> > > On the other hand, it's just a company, and never had anyone's
> >interests
> > > in mind but their own. Now something like a homebrew computer
> >club... that
> > > would be sad to see lost. :)
> > >
> > > James
> >

> >Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!
> >Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links