[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 12:10:06 EDT 2005

The CoCo 1/2's VDG does support the use of an external ROM for it's
character set.  Look up one of the old lower case mods and change the
character set to have the additional characters and you can sorta do
it.  You couldn't do the characters with a different brightness that
way but it's the only fast way I know of to do it.  That would also
exclude the use of a CoCo 3.

Doing it with graphics would be slow.  Moving that much on screen at a
time requires more MHz than the CoCo can muster and some hardware
accelleration wouldn't hurt either.  Page flipping could work but you
couldn't fit enough pages in RAM without duplication of the characters
and changing the video address to scroll through a giant page of
graphics would probably jump too much... but I never really spent time
programming the CoCo 3.

I don't see why someone shouldn't do it.  So what if it's slow.  If a
faster CoCo becomes available in the future if could run fast enough.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
<glenvdb at h...> wrote:
> I am not sure if can be done exactly the same. I have attached the
poster,
> and some charaters are bigger (in the foreground) and some are
smaller. also
> it looks like japanese characters and backwards characters. but I do
think
> it can be close, its just the random "speeds" of the different
collums that
> might not be able to re produce. (sorry in advance for the big file
all you
> dial up users)
> >
> -Glen
> >Right, I'm gonna try now!