[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] What's wrong with this Picture

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Apr 18 14:11:31 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Mike Pepe wrote:

> glenvdb wrote:
> >
> > I know this realy hass no bearing, but I thought it was rather strange.
> > Ebay auction #5187516247, Is a CoCo 3 with a CoCo 2 keyboard. I was
> > always under the impresion that the keyboards were mapped differently
> > and this would not work properly.
> > -oh well just a thought.
> > -Glen
> >

> except for the 4 additional keys, they are identical parts, and can be
> swapped between models. Only the early CoCo 1's with the real metal
> ribbon cables differ.
>
> if you want to have fun, stick a CoCo 1 chicklet keyboard on a CoCo 3!

As a matter of fact, the CoCo 3 keyboard was available from Radio Shack, as an
add-on for earlier CoCos, well before the CoCo 3 itself came out.  These
keyboards were originally for the aborted "deluxe CoCo", and were sold for $4.95
at the Shack.  It was perfectly hardware compatible with later models of CoCo
1/2, and just needed software that supported the extra keys, if you wanted to
use them for something.  Third-party keyboards from HJL (?) and others were
available earlier still that included the 4 extra keys that were logically
possible but omitted in the original keyboard scheme.  (I think HJL labeled them
as F1, F2, F3, and F4 rather than CTL, ALT, F1, and F2.)

Art