[Coco] Viewing GIF files on a Coco

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Sep 27 23:17:50 EDT 2004

At 06:34 PM 9/27/2004, you wrote:

>On Sep 27, 2004, at 2:54 PM, David Gacke wrote:
>
>>Hi Fred,
>>
>>Yep, there's a GIF87 spec and a GIF89 spec.
>>
>>Maybe the viewer only supports the older types.
>
>Of course a properly written GIF 87a viewer will still try to show a GIF
>89a image, merely ignoring the sections it doesn't recognize.  We also
>know the difference between the way that things are supposed to be and
>thew way they actually are.

A properly written modern viewer is supposed to ignore GIF89a packets it
cannot process, but a properly-written old viewer that hasn't been updated
correctly will usually refuse anything except a GIF87a.  I think
Projector-3 just checks for the GIFxxx header and processes whatever it can
regardless of the version ID.

--
Roger Taylor