[Coco] Capacitor question

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun Sep 26 11:01:31 EDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:43:40 -0700
"Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com> wrote:

> >Thanks, Jim. I was thinking along the same lines, but
> >wanted to be sure that I
> >couldn't use them at all. When I purchased the caps from
> >Radio Shack, I couldn't
> >see the voltage on those suckers very well... and those
> >were the only caps of
> >that nature at the store. So I'm back to square one.
> >Needing to find two 25v
> >220uf caps. Any suggestions?
> >
> >I have another question about the caps. Why did Tandy use
> >two
> >physically different size caps when they are both 25v
> >220uf? Why not just use
> >the smaller size and be done with it?

> Mannequin:
>
> I think you misunderstood me.  If the replacement caps are
> rated at 35V, and the originals are rated at only 25V,
> then use the 35V caps.  The only difference is that the
> replace caps can handle a higher voltage.
>
> As for you second question, I haven't looked a CoCo
> motherboard in a quite a long time, but sometimes the size
> of cap may be due to the physical space available on the
> board layout or is an indicator of a different type of
> cap.
> Then again, they could be from different vendors.
>
> Jim

D'oh! I knew I should have re-read your reply before replying! ;)

Okay, So I should be able to replace those caps with the 35v ones. One more
follow up question: If I keep the leads long so I can lay them over, should I
protect them or the cap with black tape in any way? If so, where?

Thanks again.

-M.