[Coco] Thought

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Sep 24 16:39:54 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 12:35, tim lindner wrote:
> John R. Hogerhuis <jhoger at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually ability to read the host's time would be a nice feature for
> > Drivewire as well if it isn't already in there... (my Drivewire is
> > in-the-mail).
>
> It is.

Well there I go reinventing the obvious!

My DriveWire today so my Coco is coming back out of the box soon...

Is there any other way to boot rather than adding an internal eeprom or
using a disk drive?

On my Model 100 to bootstrap a drive you just

RUN"COM:98N1ENN"

with a utility disk in the drive, and the disk drive pushes the driver
to you as a BASIC program that checksums itself, and then loads the rest
of the driver over the serial link.

Isn't there a serial driver built into the Coco? DLOAD? Or does that use
the cassette... ancient knowledge... I think DLOAD might have had some
bugs. Did it survive into Super Extended BASIC?

Alternatively before DOS command was ubiquitous the manuals all showed a
little ml program you could type in if you wanted to boot OS-9 L1. If
there is a program like that I could go from there...

Even if I have to use the cassette port that would be better since then
I can just plug to the PC sound card or minidisc or MP3 player... my
full height 5 1/4" floppy drive has been rotting in the garage for a
long time, and I don't have a whole lot of room...

-- John.