[Coco] Wireless CoCo?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Thu Sep 23 02:20:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 21:31, David Hazelton wrote:
> John~
>
> 	As I was trying to use my Linux box (mandrake 9.2) to bridge between my
> Wireless network and my Ethernet.  I came across a problem,  It would
> not bridge,  I looked into this deeper, since it should work.  It is a
> known problem with some Wireless chipsets....I just happen to have one
> of those.   Also I was using a USB to 802.11b for the wireless side and
> I found out it was even more common bridging problems with USB controllers.

So which chipsets to avoid and which to look for? Are you saying that
Linux cannot bridge between your WLAN card and the ethernet?

I can see why a chipset could be broken such that it would not be able
to bridge between two wireless lans or act as an AP (that is, it could
not enter "master mode"). However, I believe bridging between Ethernet
and a wireless LAN isn't a function of the chipset but the operating
system. Linux in this case is the router. As long as you have IP
Forwarding enabled in your kernel, you should be able to bridge packets
between ethernet and your wireless lan, or serial and wireless lan.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-wap.html

Would be interesting though to know which cards/chipsets to avoid in
building an AP.

-- John.