[Coco] running RSDOS games from hard drive?

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Sep 21 21:28:05 EDT 2004

> To answer Boisy's question, I'm actually running RGB-DOS.

This is your problem.  RGB-DOS is written to read the entire sector
into memory.  If you have a 512 byte sector hard drive this causes
problems with some M/L programs.  HDB-DOS addresses this issue by
reading ONLY the first 256 bytes of a sector into memory, discarding
the rest.

> I've spent too much time on this problem already. Whatever the nature
> of
> the problem is, it's only affecting my ability to play one game
> (Tutankamen) directly from the hard drive. I don't even play the game
> that often. And if I do want to play it, I can still play it from a
> floppy, which is easy enough to do. All my other games work just fine.
> I'm not going to worry about this anymore.

There are other M/L programs which can suffer from this problem.  My
suggestion is to get HDB-DOS.

Boisy