[Coco] HDB-DOS wish list

alsplace at pobox.com alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Sep 21 14:32:38 EDT 2004

Ben,

I will dig up my article about RGB-DOS and the Kenton interface for
you/others.  It detailed an easy way to "bank" drives and use as many
as you wanted -- not as nice as being integrated into RGB-DOS, but a
functional way to have hundreds of drives available with a simple
utility menu (RUN"XXX")  on a drive in each bank to do the dirty work
for you.

As to extentions to basic, Sub-Etha Software's (my old CoCo company)
product, MultiBasic, did a trick to commands to support multiple memory
blocks.  GOTO 100/2 to go to line 100 in bank 2, for example, and other
commands were modified to load into different banks.  The same thing
could apply to RGB-DOS type systems, in fact, and perhaps this patch
could easily just swap out the offsets behind the scene.  IE:

LOADM"FILE:14#2" would be intercepted and do the offset pokes to get to
the Bank 2 setup... This type of patch might be very easy to do on top
of HGB-DOS without any need to changing the DOS itself.

     -- Allen