[Coco] running RSDOS games from hard drive?

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Sat Sep 18 17:41:53 EDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:15:30 -0700 (PDT) Robert Emery
<theother_bob at yahoo.com> writes:
> Something I've found now that I'm using HDB-DOS with a real HD...
> many games
> run fine from the HD, including most or all of Nick M's games
> (cool!) but many,
> even some that are a single binary file, lock up as they attempt to
> access the
> floppy drive.
>
> So I wonder if I go in and look for places where a program accesses
> $FF40 and
> just change that to $FF70, would that work? or is there more to it
> than that?
>
> Too bad we don't have HDB-DOS unravelled!
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Emery

I can vouch for Robert on this. I've noticed several games that will not
run from a hard drive but will run fine from a floppy drive:

Games that will not run from a hard drive:
PacDude 2
Cosmic Ambush
Zenix
Pegasus and the Phantom Riders (it's hard-coded for floppy)
Cubix
Draconian
Tutankaman

Games that will run from a hard drive:
Pac Man
Gate Crasher
Most other Nicholas Marentes games
Spider Hyper
Phantom Slayer
Blox
Downland
Sea Dragon
Kong
Nerble

This list obviously isn't comprehensive. I left off all the games that
require more than one disk to run, and all games that are copy-protected,
as well as cartridge games and OS-9 games for obvious reasons. That's a
lot. Are there  any other disk games that run under RS-DOS that people
know about that won't run on a hard drive?

Fred Provoncha