[Coco] Stand-alone DriveWire devices.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 16:58:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 12:04, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2004, at 10:47 AM, <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > It dawns on me that there must be some really cheap PIC-type
> > programmable device with memory storage and some programmable CPU.
> > Some of these gadgets are very cheap.  If there was such a device, it
> > might be interesting to make a standalone "DriveWire" hardware unit
> > that could just plug into a CoCo's serial port.  Anyone out there
> > familiar with the state of the art for BASIC STAMP or PIC type chips?
> > It would just need to have a fast serial port and some form of backed
> > up memory (flash, battery backed RAM?).
>
> Certainly that could be a possibility.  I did really like the Palm idea
> though.  That would be quite slick.

Thanks for sending me the DriveWire spec. I think it will be
straighforward for me to implement on the Palm.

Now to order a DriveWire and see if my Coco still functions (as I recall
the darn thing [512K Disto upgrade] always liked to heat up and I had to
keep a little fan over the top of it or it would lock up...

-- John.