[Coco] Stand-alone DriveWire devices.

Eric J. Rothfus eric at rothfus.com
Fri Sep 17 16:03:00 EDT 2004

> It dawns on me that there must be some really cheap PIC-type
> programmable device with memory storage and some programmable CPU.
> Some of these gadgets are very cheap.  If there was such a device,
> it might be interesting to make a standalone "DriveWire" hardware
> unit that could just plug into a CoCo's serial port.  Anyone out
> there familiar with the state of the art for BASIC STAMP or PIC type
> chips?  It would just need to have a fast serial port and some form
> of backed up memory (flash, battery backed RAM?).

Though not _exactly_ what you're referring to...

I'm continuing work on the "SVD" (Semi-Virtual
Diskette).  This device is a PIC-based piece of
hardware that connects to a "modern" PC on one end (via
serial port) and to a vintage computer on the other end
directly to the floppy cable.  In essence, the SVD
looks like a floppy drive to the vintage computer.

You use the PC to download a floppy image, or
individual files, to the SVD and then boot or access
that image/file from the vintage computer just as if
reading from a floppy.  You can also write to the SVD's
virtual image from the vintage computer and then upload
the changed image back to the PC.

The SVD makes it very easy to run vintage software on
vintage boxes without having to open the vintage box or
finding an old 5.25" drive and compatible controller.
It also gives you another way to archive your old
diskettes.

You can get the whole SVD story from www.theSVD.com.
But it works with the CoCo well.  HOWEVER, the current
version has a limited amount of on-board memory (256k)
so it can handle only a single-sided double-density
image right now.  I'll be boosting the memory on the
thing some day.

In addition to the CoCo the SVD also works with the
TRS80 Model I and III/IV, and the Heathkit H8/89.
Apple ][ support is in the works.  Many different
floppy image formats are supported, including JVC and
DMK.  Also, many different file-systems are supported,
which gives you the ability to download single files to
the SVD.

Eric