[Coco] SuperIDE and Superdriver rock , but...

Benoit Bleau benoit.bleau at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 22:43:02 EDT 2004

	>EPROM will work but FLASH is better. Shouldn't need to the floppy
only
	>to copy files from it. I hardly ever switch it....
True. I didn't think it that way. And Flash is much easier.

	>As far as the sequence. ?? Not sure what values you placed in the
WIZARD program.

I used the values reported by ideprobe, the number of sectors on the CF
card.

	>Hopefully you made all your boots as the READ.me file in startup
advises you to do.

Yep. got a floppy that boots to the IDE drive. Got copies of the disks you
sent me,
all tucked safely away.

	> So do you have the three floppies built before you started to
	> change the systems configuration?

I never touched the IDE drive. It still works and boots like a charm.
No worries there. I'm very paranoid about not messing up the hard drive.
That's why I was trying to build another system on the CF card.

I tried something else:  I set the jumper in the SuperIDE to set the CF as
the slave.
In HDB-DOS, I can see the virtual drives I had set, using the DRIVE 1
command.

I read the boot scripts, and I'm pretty sure I did the correct steps.

I tried to format the CF (using the autosize function, bit 4 of IT.TYP set),
without partitioning it. I understand that I would loose the virtual drives,
but there's nothing on them anyway.

The driver detected the correct size for the CF, but again, after a while
(around 750 sectors this time), format started reporting error 250
(device busy). I tried to divide the number of cylinders by 2, then 4, but
still no luck. After a while, the CF seems to hang (the LED on the superIDE
stays lit solid).

I decided to try another CF card. I got the card out of my digital camera
(a 512meg Lexar CF), and I got the exact same result. After a while,
format reports a device busy error.

My next step is to borrow a 64meg CF and 128 meg CF from a friend to see if
this
will work.

Keep you posted.

-Ben