[Coco] how you work this thing lol

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Tue Sep 14 22:56:06 EDT 2004

James Dessart wrote:

> On 14-Sep-04, at 8:34 PM, David Hazelton wrote:
>
>> Unless money is tight, I would try to get the newest mac that you can
>> afford.  I bought my 7300 at a junk store for $10 and he guaranteed
>> that it would work, this included the monitor.  The monitor was shot
>> after a month of use, a Mac to VGA adapter and a PC SVGA monitor.  I
>> added a $20 USB card and a G4/400mhz card of E-bay for $125.  The 7300
>> had 96MB memory and a 6GB hardrive running 9.1 and partitioned for
>> Darwin.  I got lucky.  Darwin never loaded correctly. I added 128MB of
>> memory from OWC for about $30.00 and I bought of E-bay Mac OS 10.3 for
>> $65.00.  So for me (Money tight it still cost me over $200.00 and I
>> thought I was doing good)
>

> The 7300 might need Darwin to be recompiled (and probably modified) in
> order to run it. Apple's been slowly pulling all the (old) support for
> older machines out of their source, bit by bit. I don't see a lot of
> developer support coming either, to bring it back in and expand it. Did
> Mac OS X run on the machine? If so, then I'm surprised Darwin didn't...
>
> You can always run linux on it. ;)
>
> James

Had to run Xpostfacto on it to run panther, but it was touchy with cache
turned on and the location of memory sims, very strange.  Also it didn't
like that the hard drive was on the Fast SCSI connector.  I found this
out long into the 9.22 upgrade to panther path.  First the install of 10
would get thru about 96% of the first install disc and fail. I moved
memory, sometimes with very ugly cache errors.  After I moved the dribe
on to sandard scsi connector, the install would work.  Cache work fine
install boot, but after install I could not get it to boot with
XpostFacto's cache option.  Darwin could of had similar problems.  it
failed at Cache and/or boot device So I believe if I beat it to death I
could have got Darwin to run.  I didn't have any motivation to do so,
like after I spent the $65 for the OS I had to get it to work !!

I run Mandrake 9.2 on my intel server, so if I was to run Linux on the
Mac I would run Mandrake on it also, unfortunately the PPC version is a
few versions back and the workstation mode (as oppsed to a server mode)
really has been matured in Mandrake 9.2 and 10. I know that it is
possible to migrate upto 10 on the PPC, but it is described as not pretty.

~David Hazelton