[Coco] how you work this thing lol

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Tue Sep 14 20:34:03 EDT 2004

Nuxie at aol.com wrote:

> got any idea what model i would need for a 6400/180 tower im looking on ebay
> for them rightnow. what should look for?
>
> Mary

what are you looking for the MAC to do?

I have a 7600 that has been upgraded to a 400mhz/G4 and is running 10.3
I wanted something that could be running current MAC software....(slowly
, but running)

Not knowing what the 6400/180 is off the top of my head.  I would look
for a Mac that is at least a PCI based Mac, so USB ports could be added
and a G4 processor card.  I think those were 7300-9600 models.  OR go
with a G3 or G4 tower.  As Mac OS X gets up there in power, the G3 will
likely get drop from support, G5 are where they are now on desktops but
all the laptops and Imacs and Emacs are G4 now.

Unless money is tight, I would try to get the newest mac that you can
afford.  I bought my 7300 at a junk store for $10 and he guaranteed that
it would work, this included the monitor.  The monitor was shot after a
month of use, a Mac to VGA adapter and a PC SVGA monitor.  I added a $20
USB card and a G4/400mhz card of E-bay for $125.  The 7300 had 96MB
memory and a 6GB hardrive running 9.1 and partitioned for Darwin.  I got
lucky.  Darwin never loaded correctly. I added 128MB of memory from OWC
for about $30.00 and I bought of E-bay Mac OS 10.3 for $65.00.  So for
me (Money tight it still cost me over $200.00 and I thought I was doing
good)

~David Hazelton