[Coco] Re: Coco on a SVGA monitor using the Xrgb-2 Plus

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sat Sep 11 22:27:20 EDT 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Robert Emery wrote:

> I can't imagine why it wouldn't... I've heard of amiga monitors
> being used with the CoCo3, just mave to modify the sync I believe.

Before it quit working I used an Amiga 1080 monitor with my CoCo 3.  I
hacked a little circuit into my CoCo three and sent the appropriate
signal out through the unused pin on the CoCo 3 video connector.  That
with a custom cable leading to the DB9 connector for the 1080 was all
that was necessary.  The signal levels are the same as are the scan
frequencies.

>> I have an external one on an A1200, but have no source for
>> DB23 connectors and do not wish to hack it up.
>
> The box you have has a DB23 for RGB input...
> Is it male (pins) or female (sockets)?
> Would you try it if you had a custom cable?

I would try it.  It has a DB23F on the Amiga end and a sub-DB15F on the
other.  The unit gets its power from the Amiga video connector.

> I guess the more important end is where the monitor would
> normally plug in to the computer. I feel that custom cabling
> minimizing the end-user's need to hack/solder could make this
> a really hot item.

DB23 connectors (male or female) are generally really hard to come by.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?