[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] CoCo 2 and a PC VGA

Davey Brain dsbrain at neosplice.com
Fri Sep 10 14:37:00 EDT 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 10 September 2004 12:05, steve_churchman wrote:
>
>>Hi Everyone,
>>
>>Is it possible to modify a CoCo 2 to work to a PC monitor, and has
>>anyone done this?
>>
>>Regards Steve

Steve,
A scan doubler will convert to VGA/SVGA. But I just googled on that and
they all seem to work with RGB and not composite (example here:
<http://www.cadesigns.co.uk/scan-2.htm> ). So you'd have to convert to
RGB and then use a scan doubler to convert to VGA. Lotsa signal loss
there so probably a poor quality picture. The Coco 3 has RGB out so you
could try a scan doubler on that.

What I've done in the past is actually use a VCR to convert the RF from
the Coco to composite output and hooked up an old monitor. Even though
it goes through a modulate/demodulate process it is still a better
picture (sharper & steadier) than on a TV. I guess there is a way to
pickup the composite signal before it's modulated and put outputs on a
Coco. But it's still composite.

FYI, most newer TVs have composite inputs so they can be used as
monitors. A nice 15-18" modern flatscreen TV makes a very nice monitor
for old computers.

HTH in some way...
WarpDavey
--
Davey Brain
"What it boils down to is I'm tired of hiding. I love my boyfriend Kyle

Uptime is since the last storm
This OS/2 uptime is 1 d 04 h 53 m 00 seconds

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM