[Coco] XRGB Converter Was :Re: [Coco] Re: For Boisy or Mark ref Super Driver

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 19:47:55 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/17/04 9:09:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
chazbeenhad at hotmail.com writes:

<< Now that it is working great I notice something about the device that isn't
> bad, but worth noting.

> With the sharpness off (at 0) the display is not all that, well.... sharp.
> Its about CM-8 quality without the grain.
> I prefer the sharpness set to 2. The one thing I notice at this setting is
> if you take an 80 column screen and type text all the way across, text just
>left to center looks "not as dark". I should note this is on a black on
> green screen. It looks to be the result of how the XRGB sharpness filter is
>playing with the display and the fact that text on that part of the screen
> land on certain vertical lines.....
>It's not bad, and setting the sharpness to 3 gets rid of the problem.
>However, with sharpness on 3 graphics can be over emphasized. So I find 2 to
>be the happy setting.

Charlie

       I am glad the interface is working for you.  While the shielded cable
wasn't the solution to the grounding problem we had before, It may
have an effect on this behavior.  You probably have more experience
on the "box" than I do now with regard to how it looks and performs
with varied game screens and text and such.  I will throw together a six foot
shielded cable which you can keep as a backup for the flat cable
even if it does not address this "problem".  Sometimes I think the only
real problem with this converter is its wide range of adjustments for
processing the video signal.  Maybe a bit of overkill for the coco3 but
I'm working on finding simpler and lower cost alternatives.

Roy