[Coco] CoCo to SVGA

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 23:02:43 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/28/04 2:23:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
theother_bob at yahoo.com writes:

> The Amiga was interlaced IIRC, so it also needed a full
>  frame buffer, which the CoCo doesn't need.

Are you sure the Coco video isn't interlaced?  I thought it was.
Wouldn't it have to be, to run on a TV?

Or maybe you mean that the odd and even horizontal scan lines contain the
same info (are duplicates of each other).  So a single-line scan doubler should
work as you said.

Also ISTR the Coco does not add the extra delay on the odd frames, so both
odd and even lines display atop one another, and not spaced as in a true
interlaced TV picture.  This gives a black line between each visible line and makes
the picture look sharper, though "blocky".

The MM/1 is the same way, but has a mode whereby true interlacing is used to
fill in the black lines.  It looks smoother but fuzzier -- probably better for
photos, not text.
--Mike K.