[Coco] Re: File extensions

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Thu Oct 21 15:12:20 EDT 2004

KnudsenMJ at aol.com writes:

>>  For true color files PiNG is pretty good if you want lossless
>>  compression.  (Actually it is nearly always a better choice than GIF).
>
> How does PiNG (aka PNG) compare with JPEG?  ISTR trying it once or twice,
> but wasn't impressed one way or the other.  I also STR that PNG is
> patent-free,  so Linux programs can use it -- which seems to be its main
> raison d'etre.

Unlike JPEG, PNG is a lossless compression format, more meant to be a
substitute for GIF.  PNG (Portable Network Graphic) was created when GIF's
patent issues reared their ugly head.

Its actually better than GIF, because it supports alpha channels and a few
other features not present in GIF.  You can almost consider it GIF 2.0.