[Coco] Re: Portal-9 bug report

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 23:52:32 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/18/04 10:56:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mannslists at invigorated.org writes:

> Besides which, you shouldn't trust an icon to see what type of file it is in
>  Windoze in the first place. Check the extension always. Icons make things
>  easier to determine sometimes, but as in Dennis' example, not always.

Right!  I made the mistake of installing MS' Security Upgrades for Win98SE.
It installed Windows Media Player 9.0 (or 10.0, or whatever).  Now, that
player is MUCH better sounding on MP3 files than the old one.  But the installation
also associated the same new icon with EVERY type of media file -- WAV, MP3,
AVI, and even MIDI (which is sacred in my house, you don't mess with its
icon!).

I managed to change the MIDI icon, and also the WAV icon for my digitized
compositions, but all the others still look the same.  Not much use.

Oh BTW, I always enable file extensions to show also.  First time I do any
work on my wife's PC, I turn them on (yes, they were disabled when the laptop
came from the dude's comic book company).

And yes, she often gets "mystery" attachments from Mac users.  Ugh!  About
all we can do is open them in Notepad or WordPad and delete enough of the square
characters to make out the text.
--Mike K.