File extensions, was: Re: [Coco] Portal-9 bug report

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 16:39:18 EDT 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 08:31 pm, Robert Emery wrote:
> --- Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <bathory at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> > It isn't odd. Extensions are a Windows operating system thing, not
> > a user thing -- and similar to the Mac approach, which uses (used?)
> > no filename extensions.
>
> Macs have file extensions, and so do CoCo's... neither of which runs
> Windows, thank goodness.
>
> > Windows 95 borrowed a great deal of the Mac approach, and it
> > succeeded in how incredibly Win95 took off in comparison to Win3.1.
>
> That's mainly because you could install 95 without knowing DOS.

Actually, rather few "normal" users ever install Win 95 or any of its
successors.  They just buy preinstalled machines.  I'd say maybe 10%,
tops, can install from scratch.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net    http://home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd/

You had to admire the way perfectly innocent words were mugged, ravaged,
stripped of all true meaning and decency, and then sent to walk the
gutter for Reacher Gilt, although "synergistically" had probably been a
whore from the start.                 -- Terry Pratchett, _Going Postal_