[Coco] Portal-9 bug report

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Oct 18 13:17:17 EDT 2004

At 10:25 AM 10/18/2004, you wrote:

>--- Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:
>
> > I have discovered that Portal-9 will not function correctly, or build
> > projects, if the user's Folder preferences in Windows is set to "hide
> > extensions for known file types".  It just so happens that Windows XP
> comes
> > preconfigured to hide filename extensions.  Possibly other versions of
> > Windows does the same?
>
>IIRC, that is the "default standard" for versions of Windoze as far back as
>98SE... ME and 2K definitely hide them, and it's always one of the first
>things
>I "fix" on any PC I touch.
>
><sarcasm to the geniuses M$>
>Yeah... it's *sooo* much simpler for non-technical people to understand that
>there are 3 or 4 files with the "same name" in a folder!
></sarcasm>

Exactly.  Any time I do work on somebody's computer, I immediately enable
filename extensions.  It is no surprise to me that almost every XP computer
I've touched had the extensions disabled (by default) and the user had NO
clue what it meant.  :)  Again, sometimes you will see the same "filename"
in a directory and you have to rely on the icon to know what it is.  XP
will tell you (in Tile mode) what the format is, in long term.  Still, this
plot to keep people from seeing filenames as they have always existed, is
the oddest thing I've seen MS do.  I will always believe that the filename
itself should describe the format of the file, before a hidden code should
do it.

Anyway, it's easy for an app to start at the end of a filename path and
back up to the first '/' then delete everything up to that point, leaving
the filename as it should be.

--
Roger Taylor