[Coco] Admin request [repeat]

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Wed Oct 13 08:38:23 EDT 2004

At 01:57 PM 10/12/04 -0700, you wrote:
>FWIW, many mail systems will let you set your mail to 'dump' all incoming
>messages preventing overflow. This might be easier to do than to unsubscribe
>to a bunch of lists.

On the other hand, dumping mail may miss important messages. Most of the
implementations of Mailman software (like this list) have a web interface
where you can quickly turn off mail without unsubscribing, and that will
reduce the incoming mail load and perhaps avoid dumping important messages.

By the way, when bounces exceed 24 hours from any given address, I turn
mail off to that address. It can be turned back on by the list member from
the web interface.

It's mostly a spam issue, I think. Just for perspective: My mail server
(which receives mail for 28 domains, but only to a few dozen legal
addresses) filters and dumps over 20MB of spam per day before it reaches my
account. Per day! I use Spam Assassin with Bayes filtering, but even with
weekly training, about 100 pieces of very clever or very stupid spam per
day still get through. So for those without good server-level spam
rejection in place, the old-style small email boxes can quickly fill up.

Dennis